Controls Engineer - Technical Design and Innovation
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Career Area -
- Job Function -
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition GH1228080
What you'll do at
Controls Engineer – Technical Design and Innovation
As a member of a highly collaborative and multi-disciplinary team, the role will be responsible for debugging, improving, assisting in the development of controls for material handling equipment and robotics. This includes but is not limited to the following: leading development for proprietary and partner developed technologies that are responsible for controlling sorters, conveyors, robotic systems and other automated systems specific to eCommerce Fulfillment.
The Controls Engineer will be responsible for leading machine controls and robot programming for all existing as well as new applications. He/she will be responsible for troubleshooting, debugging and improving productivity and throughput via automation controls and logic programming edits through controls logic, software and path alterations through either off-line or on-line methodology. He/she will be able to provide robot specific or automated systems training to associates and maintenance personnel, if required. He/she will also ensure proper documentation of changes and maintain lessons learned and revision history.
• Design, develop, advise, and maintain control systems across a vast landscape of technologies specific to the material handling landscape
• Troubleshoot, repair and calibrate electrical systems.
• Evaluate and problem solve controls and/or robotics issues with Material Handling Equipment and provide guidance for future systems
• Improve the throughput and reliability of the Material Handling System through appropriate controls and/or robotic programing changes.
• Evaluate supplier training and ensure the proper training of all Controls and Robotics Technicians.
• Apply knowledge of PLCs, HMIs, and Robotics to help set standard operating procedures, documenting how associates should reset, restart and interface with the Material Handling Equipment, as needed, to maximize utilization.
• Review, verify and diagnose design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies with controls logic and/or robotics logic provided by our suppliers and proactively recommend revisions and/or improvements
• Engage in design sessions and provide recommendations and feedback to the Fulfillment Engineering team in order to positively affect change in next generation automated equipment
• Understanding of Sensors, Cameras, Vision Systems, Sorters, VFDs, End Effectors, Robots and related controls for automated systems
• Proficient in maintaining and modify existing systems
• Work collaboratively with design engineers, operation engineers, operation associates, IT, facilities maintenance and other internal staff
• Write controls logic and robotics software/code
• Program logic controllers in ladder, sequential graphs and/or statement lists.
• Use thorough understanding of control systems in terms of electrical, motion, vision, pneumatic & hydraulic controls.
• Test and document safety systems for the machines adhering to established site-specific requirements
• Program industrial robots for applications in material handling, testing, machine tending or as per process demands
• Read electrical, mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic drawings
• Use experience with vision systems and knowledge of different fieldbus systems and its implementation to perform duties
An individual must be proficient in each of the competencies listed below to successfully perform the responsibilities of this position:
Judgment: Make Informed Judgments - Uses relevant business metrics, analyses, and reports to measure, monitor, and improve performance. Identifies and applies sound, fact-based criteria in setting priorities and making decisions. Looks beyond symptoms to determine the root causes of problems, and identify and implement applicable solutions. Integrates knowledge and expertise in making fact-based recommendations and decisions.
Execution and Results: Ensure Execution and Achieve Results - Conveys a sense of urgency to complete and achieve goals. Pursues the achievement and alignment of measurable and meaningful goals. Prioritizes and balances time, actions, and projects to ensure accomplishment of results.
Ethics and Compliance: Ensure Ethics and Compliance - Actively communicates, trains, and guides associates on compliance with policies and procedures. Maintains an environment that promotes and reinforces the highest standards of integrity and ethics. Anticipates potential issues and takes action to enhance compliance.
Adaptability: Adapt and Learn - Demonstrates creativity and strength in the face of change, obstacles, or adversity. Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities. Updates knowledge and skills to handle new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities. Seeks exposure to new ideas and perspectives. Identifies and takes steps to improve adaptability and continuous learning capabilities in own organization.
Build Relationships: Network Internally and Externally - Builds trusting, collaborative relationships and alliances with others, inside and outside of the organization. Relates to others in an accepting and respectful manner, regardless of their organizational level, personality, or background. Promotes a team-based work environment that respects, embraces, and values diversity in others.
Travels domestically to and from Hoboken, Bentonville, San Bruno and all Walmart and Jet facilities or work-sites to participate in meetings, workshops, project deployments, company events, etc. requiring overnight stays. Some international travel may be required (Percent of travel = 50% or more)
• BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math or equivalent qualification/certification
• 2+ years of relevant hands on PLC and Robotics experience
• 2+ years of experience evaluating, modifying and writing controls logic
• Lean Manufacturing Experience a Major Plus
• Experience with Material Handling Systems, ie. Cranes, Shuttles, Robotics, AGV’s, ASRS and Sortation equipment
• Experience working in one or more of the following industries: Automotive, Aerospace, Material Handling, Pharmaceutical, Machine Packaging, Food/Beverage Processing, Machining or Tooling
• Specific Ecommerce experience a plus
Jet is reshaping ecommerce as we know it. Based in Hoboken NJ (just 10 min from Manhattan), we are a shopping site on the relentless pursuit to build the greatest customer experience in the world. At Jet, we believe in bold. That means taking risks, asking “why not”, looking where no one’s looked before and crushing it! Our engineers are utilizing and building world class technologies, to optimize the supply chain, remove unnecessary costs, sprinkle in some surprise and delight all while saving consumers every penny possible and we’re just getting started. At Jet, we have worked hard to build a culture that stresses the importance of learning and of sharing knowledge. If you want to be part of the team that is disrupting the shopping norm and you’re capable of smashing the status quo, we have a hunch you’d look good in purple.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents