Category Manager, Training Leads and Hand Tools
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Career Area -
- Job Function -
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition GH1202305
What you'll do at
What you'll do
Located in Hoboken, NJ, the Training Lead and Category Manager (Hand Tools) dual role position is responsible for ensuring success within the Hand Tools category as well as training the many incoming Category Specialists joining the retail organization. On the category management side, the role is responsible for ensuring market-leading assortment, excellent financial performance and a great shopper experience across all of Walmart’s Ecommerce brands – Jet.com and Walmart.com (and whatever other brands join our family!). Your goal is to create the ultimate online destination for customers who turn to Jet.com and Walmart.com first when they are shopping for Hand Tools. On the training side, the role will be responsible for leading weekly training sessions for incoming Category Specialists in our Hoboken location during the peak new hire months of the year (~6 months). This role will also be responsible for contributing and developing the training courses and materials that set up the success of our Category Specialists. This position reports directly to the Category Lead for Tools and Equipment as well as the Director of Training and Development.
Challenges you’ll be tackling:
Own the Hand Tools category – end to end – across all our ecommerce brands: You will be responsible for the performance of your category across all of Walmart’s Ecommerce brands –and be responsible for assortment, financial performance, merchandising, and pricing.
Managing and inspiring a bi-weekly classes of incoming Category Specialists joining the retail organization in day long intensive training courses and exercise. Instilling enthusiasm and passion for new hires to quickly ramp on tools and retail knowledge to go out and tackle the retail challenges ahead of them. Distilling the many tools, topics, and challenges category specialists will encounter into easy to manage, bite sized learning sessions that will set them up for long term success.
Managing and inspiring a team of category experts: You will be a part of hiring, managing and inspiring our category experts, some fresh out of college, who will own subcategories within your categories and allow you to deliver an amazing customer experience for every product we sell across all our channels. Your category specialists will be mini-GMs, and you will manage them and ensure they are helping you build our Hand Tools experience! Delegation is particularly important for this role during the times where training is a focus.
- Own category financial targets and KPIs (e.g. GMV and margin), and identify (and execute upon) levers to achieve those targets
- Own bi-weekly Hoboken based training sessions during peak summer months.
- Develop and contribute to the Walmart/Jet training resource knowledge base.
- Connect with and inspire incoming category specialists
- Evolve and elevate the category’s assortment strategy through in-market expertise and identifying assortment gaps and opportunities
- Own and optimize the product sourcing mix across manufacturers, distributors and third-party retailers
- Manage a team of category specialists and experts for the Hand Tools business.
How you’ll know it’s right:
- If you love retail, trends and merchandising…
- If you love coaching and training people…
- If you love being stretched and challenged across multiple skill sets
- If you like owning something and being accountable for its outcomes…
- If you understand that without risk there is no reward…
- If you want to run your own company one day…
- Bachelor’s degree in business, retail or related field and 3 years’ experience in retail and organization training or OR 5 years of experience in training, business, retail or a related field
- BA/BS degree, with 7+ years of relevant professional experience within an retail and/or organizational training
- Previous experience in the Tools or Equipment industry and/or training
- At least three years experience supervising teams or classes of people
- Passion for learning and sharing your knowledge of the retail industry
- Proven track record of over delivering to financial plans and KPIs.
- Demonstrated ability to form long-term strategic business relationships, and comfort engaging with senior executives
- Proven ability to manage multiple, time-sensitive projects and competing priorities simultaneously, work independently, and drive projects to completion with minimum guidance and high attention to detail
- Demonstrated understanding of supply chain and sourcing processes preferred
- Experience in inspiring and managing teams
Walmart Ecommerce is changing the way the world shops. Our team of builders, thinkers, risk-takers, and dreamers is pushing the boundaries to create a world-class shopping experience that saves customers every penny possible. To win, we need people like YOU: curious, determined, and outrageously passionate. Sound like a fit? Let’s make a date.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents