Design Director for Retail Core Engine
- Location SAN BRUNO, CA
- Career Area Merchandising & Online Operations
- Job Function Merchandising and Sourcing
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition 943059BR
What you'll do at
It’s all about our internal team member's user experience from ideation, exploring experience design concepts, to prototyping and testing. You will build a team of UX/UI experts including strategists, researchers, architects and designers who build best-in-class tools and experiences. It’s deeply exciting and rewarding to see our products in our fellow team members' hands.
The Director of Design for Category Tools establishes and drives the overall strategy for design and execution of our internal tools, which are used by hundreds of Category Leaders to drive the customer experience that touches millions of users daily. This is a senior-level role with significant responsibility, creativity, technical expertise, and business sense required.
In This Role, You Will:
• Recruit and develop outstanding talent, by coaching, managing and mentoring a team of designers
• Lead an org that works collaboratively as equal owners with Product Management and Engineering to create amazing user experiences that delight clients
• Form your team from the ground up
• Establish and communicate effective design processes through a deep understanding of user-centered design techniques coupled with practical experience in how a design team should collaborate cross-functionally for maximum effectiveness delivering solutions
• Juggle many objectives, as a consistent champion for our team members
• Lead strong teams through dynamic, complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal teams
• Apply and further develop your experience in developing new approaches to design tailored to the mission at hand, including agile and lean product development methodologies
• Advocate for our team members and integrate User Research into the product development process
• Manage and approve prototypes, specification documentation and style guides
• Provide overall direction for design
• A portfolio of work demonstrating experience creating human-centered design solutions and showing your ability to turn ideas into a strong and differentiated vision
• 2 years of supervisory experience
• 8 years experience in software design or related field
• 6 years experience in eCommerce, SaaS or related field
• 2 years experience developing internal user experience solutions with agile methodology
• 2 years experience crafting internal user experience solutions for internal tool development using modern technologies
• Ideally versed in both online and integrated retail environments
"I have switched careers twice within Walmart and each time my leadership supported me in learning an entirely different business. "
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle. In Silicon Valley, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Fioli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents