Director, Corporate Strategy
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Accounting & Finance
- Job Function Finance and Corporate Strategy
- Employment Type Full Time
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition 940934BR
What you'll do at
Walmart helps people around the world save money and live better -- anytime and anywhere -- in retail stores, online and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 260 million customers and members visit our more than 11,000 stores under 71 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 sales of approximately $486 billion, Walmart employs 2.3 million associates worldwide.
Our purpose of saving people money so they can live better is based on our core values and culture of service to the customer; respect for the individual; strive for excellence; and act with integrity. Our strategy to deliver on this commitment is founded on the objectives of making everyday easier for busy families; changing how we work; delivering results and operating with discipline; and being the most trusted retailer. Our ultimate success depends on creating shared value for all stakeholders: customers, associates, communities and shareholders.
We are at a unique point in our company history and in the history of retail. We are changing our way of thinking and working as we develop a truly omnichannel customer experience and organization.
About the Corporate Strategy team:
This is an exciting opportunity to help shape the course of the world’s largest retailer at this pivotal moment. The role will have exposure to and the opportunity to support and influence an engaged and passionate leadership team at the most senior levels. This role can have a significant impact on our transformation which has implications for the retail industry as a whole.
The corporate strategy team is responsible for helping the senior leadership team to set the enterprise strategic agenda for Walmart. In close cooperation with the CEO and his direct reports we are working to define, plan and execute long-term enterprise strategy priorities that will set Walmart Stores, Inc. (encompassing all our segments, channels and geographies) on a path to create even greater value.
About the role:
The Corporate Strategy Director is a project-based, consultant-like position, that reports to the SVP Corporate Strategy and Development. This position also works with other senior team leaders within strategy and across the business segments. The Director role helps to drive our strategy, planning, and execution by supporting several focus areas:
1.) Development of strategic frameworks, customer and competitor insights, technology trend assessments, business cases to ensure the Executive Committee has the right strategic conversation
2.) Enterprise Risk Assessment requiring assessment of external global trends to identify strategic and operational risks and enterprise strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. This analysis informs the refinement of the enterprise priorities leading into the long range financial planning process.
3.) Development of materials to support Board and Board Committee strategy discussions and decisions
Exact position projects and job responsibilities will vary depending on timing and experience. Example responsibilities as follows:
• Develop strategic fact base to highlight macro and consumer trends, key competitors and new entrants, compelling business models, disruptive/emerging technologies—and translate these into insights and implications for Walmart
• Manage complex research and analyses to drive business case development for key strategic focus areas (e.g., ecosystem development, personalization / loyalty, etc.)
• Work collaboratively with business unit partners and corporate support teams to drive enterprise strategy execution and partner on segment or functional strategy projects
• Shape and support crafting the messaging of executive leadership content for high profile external meetings (e.g., Board of Director meetings, Annual Shareholder Meeting, investment community meetings)
- 2 years of supervisory experience OR 2 years experience leading cross-functional projects.
- Bachelor s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field and 4 years experience in finance or related field OR 8 years experience in finance or related field.
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA) or related accounting certification.
- 5-10 years of experience, preferably within management consulting
- Experience in the following areas would be positively viewed:
Corporate Strategy or other Corporate roles, Retail, Grocery, eCommerce, or Consumer Packaged Goods, Large multi-national corporations and/or International.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents