Principal Software Engineer - Big Data Systems
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Technology & Software Development
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition 931213BR
What you'll do at
• Design, develop, and implement large-scale distributed systems that process large volume of data; focusing on scalability, latency, and fault-tolerance in every system built.
• Design, develop, and operate web analytics solutions processing billions on daily clickstream events.
• Create systems that orchestrate and execute complex workflows in big-data pipelines.
• Evaluate and fine tune systems for speed, robustness, and cost efficiency.
• Create datasets, tools, and services supporting big data, search and machine learning operations.
• Own full life-cycle of business solutions – from requirements definition to launching in production.
• Troubleshoot business and production issues.
• Own multiple systems across the search big data platforms, and work with engineers, program managers, and engineering leaders to identify opportunities for business impact.
• Participate in setting a vision and objectives for the team in alignment with business and market needs.
Why you will love this job:
• Making an immediate impact on a global scale.
• Grow your career by being a key contributor on systems that runs on largest internet scale and process billions of data points daily.
• Work with many cutting edge technologies, including big data, search, machine learning, containers at Walmart scale.
• Work alongside experts in search, big data, machine learning, analytics, and software engineering.
• 7+ years of object oriented programming experience in Java, Scala or similar language.
• 5+ years of experience in building of large scale data pipelines using big data technologies (i.e. Spark/Kafka/Cassandra/Hadoop/Hive/Pig).
• 5+ years of experience in systems design, algorithms, and distributed systems.
• 4+ years of experience in Python or Ruby, and SQL.
• Large scale distributed systems experience, including scalability and fault tolerance.
• Experience in data analysis software, data warehousing and data processing (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Impala, and similar).
• Exposure to cloud infrastructure, such as Open Stack, GCP, Azure or AWS
• A continuous drive to explore, improve, enhance, automate and optimize systems and tools.
• Strong computer science fundamentals in data structures and algorithms
• Graduate degree in computer science or related field (MS or PhD)
• Ability to operate effectively and independently in a dynamic, fluid environment
• Exposure to information retrieval, statistics and machine learning.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
"I feel like my manager wants to help me become a better developer and a better person overall."
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents