Principal Software Engineer - SDN/LB (Remote available)
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Technology & Software Development
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition 913477BR
What you'll do at
The core focus of this position is to develop and implement new innovative software solutions, which scale significantly with business demand and enhance Walmart’s cloud platforms. The goal for this role is to architect, build, and maintain SDN and load balancing solutions across private and public cloud services, with responsibilities including:
1. Work directly on the Torbit team to develop end-to-end software solutions to move away from physical appliances
2. Innovate, develop, and build hybrid cloud service mesh solutions utilizing SDN and load balancing capabilities for optimized application delivery
3. Come up with innovative ideas to improve performance, scalability, reliability, and uptime
4. Deliver highly scalable and reliable production ready code
5. Design, develop, and operate code across multiple production systems
6. Evaluate and implement SDN and NFV solutions
7. Use agile methodologies for rapid software development
8. Leverage and implement CI/CD pipelines for software delivery
*Depending on candidate, position can also be based in Washington DC/Reston or remote*
2. Proficient in C, C++, Python or Go (Golang) programming languages
3. In depth knowledge of load balancing, networking, DNS, TCP/IP, and UDP
4. Deployment and operational expertise in Linux, such as RedHat / Ubuntu
5. Experience and knowledge with cloud platforms (OpenStack / public cloud)
6. Familiarity and experience working with large scale infrastructures, and being able to explain reasons for specific design decisions
7. Development experience in writing networking or load balancing software
8. Strong analytical and problem solving skills
9. Willingness to support code in production and be a point of escalation to resolve issues
2. Recent and relevant experience with OpenStack, such as Nova, Neutron, Cinder, Glance, Swift, Heat, Ironic, and Octavia
3. Experience with Kubernetes and containers
4. Experience in numerous programming languages
5. Knowledge or experience in content delivery networks (CDN)
6. Experience with routing protocols and projects, such as Quagga, GoBGP, ExaBGP, or BIRD
7. Familiarity with SDN projects, such as Project Calico, Open Daylight, Contrail, Nuage VSP, VMware NSX, FD.io, and Open Virtual Network (OVN)
8. Experience with service mesh technologies, such as Linkerd, Envoy, Istio, and Cilium
9. History and experience contributing to open source projects is a huge plus
"I feel like my manager wants to help me become a better developer and a better person overall."
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents