Staff Data Scientist
- Location SAN BRUNO, CA
- Department Supply Chain & Logistics
- Team Supply Chain and Logistics
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition 805194BR
What you'll do at
- A Staff Data Scientist is responsible for analyzing large data sets to develop multiple custom models and algorithms to drive innovative business solutions. Staff Data Scientists work on large project teams in order to provide analytical support and guidance to an assigned area on for large projects (for example, email targeting, business optimization, consumer recommendations) within Walmart eCommerce. Staff Data Scientists are responsible for building large data sets from multiple sources in order to build algorithms for predicting future data characteristics. Those algorithms will be tested, validated, and applied to large data sets. Staff Data Scientists are responsible for training the algorithms so they can be applied to future data sets and provide the appropriate search results. Staff Data Scientists are responsible for researching new trends in the industry and utilizing up-to-date technology (for example, HBase, MapReduce, LAPack, Gurobi) and analytical skills to support their assigned project. Staff Data Scientists are the subject matter experts for statistical analysis and modeling for their project team.
- Build complex data sets from multiple data sources, both internally and externally.
- Build learning systems to analyze and filter continuous data flows and offline data analysis.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners across the business.
- Collaborate with project teams to implement data modeling solutions.
- Combine data features to determine search models.
- Conduct advanced statistical analysis to determine trends and significant data relationships.
- Develop models of current state in order to determine improvements needed.
- Develop multiple custom data models to drive innovative business solutions.
- Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects
- Ensures business needs are being met
- Interpret data to identify trends to go across future data sets.
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates
- Research new techniques and best practices within the industry.
- Scale new algorithms to large data sets.
- Train algorithms to apply models to new data sets.
- Translate business needs into data requirements.
- Utilize system tools including (MySQL, Hadoop, Weka, R, Matlab,ILog).
- Validate models and algorithmic techniques.
3+ years post-PhD experience in supply chain, logistics, retail, consulting or in a strategic, business analyst capacity
Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to build innovative complex models to illustrate various scenarios of supply chain flows to compare KPIs
Experience with statistical analysis, multi-variant testing strategies and concepts, regression modeling and forecasting, time series analysis, data mining, financial analysis, economic order quantity modeling, game theory and customer/product segmentation.
Experience with optimization techniques such as linear and mixed integer programming
Expert in MS-Excel, MS-Access, VBA, and SQL
Works effectively both independently and as a member of a cross functional team
Proficient in MS-PowerPoint and comfortable building presentations to tell a clear story
Capacity to communicate complex concepts in easy-to-understand terminology
Effective communication skills at multiple levels of the organization, including management and cross-functional groups
Strong follow-through skills and acute attention to detail
Ability to champion ideas and influence the organization in order to ensure ideas are executed
Foster and maintain Wal-Mart's four core values:
- Respect for the Individual
- Service to our Customers
- Strive for Excellence
- Act with Integrity
Experience with network modeling tools (e.g. Llamasoft, CAPS, IBM Logic Net Plus), network optimization and long range planning experience is a plus
Understanding of retail and e-commerce industry
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle. In Silicon Valley, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Fioli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options
- Vision & dental plans for you & dependents
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans and more
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents