Distinguished Software Engineer
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition 1216326BR
What you'll do at
As a systems telemetry distinguished engineer, you will be a key researcher and technical lead expert in the architecture and development of cloud native telemetry designs, managed services, and real-time telemetry software systems. You will use your depth of engineering and experience to create visionary software architectures and telemetry systems to achieve a telemetry software product portfolio. Additionally, you will design, develop and implement large-scale distributed systems that process large volumes of data focusing on scalability, latency, and fault-tolerant in every system built. You must be able to effectively communicate and build collaboration at all areas and levels of the business and engineering. An ideal candidate will be adapt at architecting large scale distributed systems and proficient in coding Java. Furthermore, experience in socializing architectural designs and roadmaps to internal and external customers.
To achieve software solutions and designs, you will utilize multiple telemetry technologies such as: data models, metric libraries, data logging and correlation, rule based alerting engines, real-time data streaming pipelines, TSDBs, and application performance management (APM). While working in a cloud infrastructure ecosystem consisting of VMs, Kubernetes, and containers, you will create metric software designs and solutions enabling real-time monitoring and alerting of system and application metrics. You will lead research initiatives for cloud native designs and implementation within public and private clouds.
You will also utilize TSDBs and data fusion of multiple data types and heterogenous data streams coupled with Artificial intelligence (AI) and Learned Behaviors to create forward projections of system and application expected behaviors. This role will involve collaboration with enterprise architects, product managers, data scientist, engineers and business managers to bring telemetry R&D projects into production. To achieve this effect, you will use a combination of open source and COTS technologies to solve real-time telemetry problems at an enterprise wide scale. In parallel, you will lead in the design of new systems and the redesign of existing systems to meet business requirements, changing needs, and integration of state-of-the-art technology. You will be an evangelist for the Telemetry foundation socialization technology designs and implementations to engineering and business customers.
- Strong architecture leadership with demonstrated enterprise level software implementations.
- Experience with technical leadership, software roadmaps, research and development, new software initiatives and customer and engineering coordination and engagement.
- Previous demonstrated architectural leadership in research, evaluation, creation of software designs, and distributed software implementations in production.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent, with 15+ or more years in software engineering, design and architecture
- Full stack cloud software development experience.
- Experience in cloud technologies and cloud native designs.
- Experience with cloud infrastructures and technologies, such as OpenStack, Azure, GCP or AWS.
- Demonstrated background in developing software systems and a solid foundation in advanced SQL.
- Large scale distributed systems experience including scalability and fault tolerance.
- Deep understanding and experience with Kafka, Cassandra, and TSDBs.
- Experience with one or more TSDB (InfluxDB, Kairos, Cortex, Thanos, Prometheus)
- Experience in extract, transform, load (ETL) processes.
- Experience with real-time telemetry pipelines and publish/subscribe models
- Hands on experience with NoSQL (Cassandra or equivalent)
- Experience with Storm, Spark or similar real-time streaming software
- Experience in data warehousing, processing and data analytics
- Experience in the design and creation of systems that orchestrate and execute complex workflows in a data driven ecosystem.
- Experience in Unix/Linux shell scripting or similar programming/scripting knowledge
- Experience with real-time time monitoring and alerting: metric agents, real-time dashboards, alerting rules
- Experience with API development, integration, and utilization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for diverse audiences based on engineering subject matter
- Ability to document requirements, architectural designs, and analysis findings in both business and technical terminology
- Software development in an Agile iterative CI/CD development environment
- Promote and support company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Experience with Application Performance Monitoring (APM)
- Experience with deployment of Kubernetes, containers, service meshes, and micro services
- Experience of micro services architectures, Istio, and micrometer
- Experience with data fusion and data models.
- Experience with Go development
- Experience in creating and maintaining managed metric services
- Experience with observability tools and system architectures
- Involvement and contribution with open source software communities
About Walmart Labs
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- 100% coverage for in network preventative care
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Plans
- Dental Plans
- Exclusive Discounts