Senior Director, Data Partnerships & Sourcing
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function Data Science and Analytics
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition 1188778BR
What you'll do at
The Data Value Creation Lead will report to the Chief Data Officer, and will collaborate with senior executives from across the business including the leaders of key functional domains (e.g. supply chain, merchandising, customer), business lines (e.g. online grocery, health and wellness), technology teams and enterprise functions (e.g. HR, legal and procurement).
Key areas of responsibility for the role will be:
- Strategy, planning and metrics
o Lead the planning and prioritization of opportunities for value creation from data at Walmart
o Work with business segments and domains to prioritize data use cases and sources
o Build integrated execution plans across use cases, datasets and technology activities – prioritizing the datasets which are required to deliver on use cases
o Establish and publish metrics and scorecards of progress on all aspects of data asset health, usage and value across Walmart’s business segments and domains
o Develop, own and track progress against the overall multi-year strategic business plan for data and analytics at Walmart, including financial payback on investments
o Analyze approaches to using data and analytics from relevant external companies and competitors, and synthesizing implications for Walmart
o Run the cross-company Data Value Creation Forum to share best practice, resolve interdependencies and drive progress among senior executive leaders
- New business models:
o Work with senior executives across Walmart, and external industry players to identify, prioritize and detail opportunities to create new business models from data
o Work with senior executives responsible for partnerships, data security/compliance/privacy and other functions to establish boundaries for the activities of new ventures and associated usage of Walmart data
o Drive consistency in approach to standards and contractual rights for data & analytics products
o Create business plans for new ventures based on costs and potential revenue upside
o Lead cross-functional teams to prototype new data products/value propositions
o Program manage implementation of new ventures across internal and external stakeholders
- Data science adoption and best practices across Walmart
o Work with domains, segments and executive leadership to identify opportunities to apply data science
o Define and drive adoption of a standard process for agile data science at Walmart
o Run a program of internal community events for best practice and experience sharing among data scientists
o Engage with external industry and community forums on data science and machine learning, and identify partnerships and collaboration initiatives
o Partner with HR to define skills, levels, career paths, and rotation programs for data scientists at Walmart
o Set up training and skills programs to advance maturity of data science at Walmart, including awareness training for product roles and other business users
o Identify opportunities for shared cross-domain technology and tool development, and partner with the data & analytics platform team to scope and execute these
o Provide coaching for domain and segment leadership in the adoption of data science
o Track and report on the maturity of data science practices across segments and domains
• At least 15 years of professional experience
• Experience with strategy development and the delivery of cross-functional enterprise business transformation programs is essential
• Previous roles in data-intensive companies, in roles that were responsible for enterprise data and/or technology strategy
• Previous roles with leading companies in the retail industry
• Entrepreneurial attitude, and ability to drive change and navigate ambiguity when building new capabilities in an enterprise setting.
• Background in managing technology teams and/or partnering with technology/IT leaders is highly desirable.
• Experience in managing data science teams is highly desirable.
• Good knowledge of agile methodologies and tools is highly desirable.
• Passion for serving customers and understanding/delivering against their needs.
• Track record of hiring, managing, and retaining high-performing teams.
• Superior executive relationship building and communication skills, and experience in working/driving results across teams in different disciplines (product, security, sales, legal, compliance, HR, etc.), including communicating recommendations to senior leaders. Experience working in a global environment, both with internal and external stakeholders, is a plus.
About Walmart Labs
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- 100% coverage for in network preventative care
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Plans
- Dental Plans
- Exclusive Discounts