Director, Data Science Strategy & Community
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function Data Science and Analytics
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition 1188773BR
What you'll do at
The Data Asset Protection and Risk Control Lead will report to the Data Enablement Lead, and will be tasked with creating and enforcing proper data protection protocols and risk minimization measures. This role will partner with key stakeholders across the business including data stewards and other roles in key functional domains (e.g. supply chain, merchandising, customer), business lines (e.g. online grocery, health and wellness), technology teams and enterprise functions (e.g. HR, legal and procurement).
● Develop and drive adoption of policies and procedures for the management, governance, and productization of Enterprise Data assets compliant with our enterprise data policies, including monitoring/audit and issue escalation paths
● Define standards for managing data across its lifecycle at Walmart (across domain-specific data marts and operational stores, and the central data warehouse/lake)
● Create the framework for handling compliance globally to support local market needs and regulations
● Define and track ownership of dataset compliance and security across Walmart
● Define, measure and report on data security, risk and compliance within and across domains/segments to improve these metrics in collaboration with domain/segment data stewards
● Investigate compliance and security exceptions and work across functions to address deficits in our processes
● Support the Data Enablement Lead in running the cross-company Data Risk and Protection Forum
● Ensure that corporate and regulatory policies for data handling are implemented in specific procedures and tools for security, retention, access and storage
● Partner with the data & analytics technology platform team to ensure that tools support automated tracking of data lineage, compliance and security
● Support the definition of best practices for data stewards, target skills, career path, training programs and best practice sharing events for this community
● Increase Walmart’s readiness to understand, manage, and drive responsible insights from its data assets. Partnering with the broader CDO team, develop and implement training modules, webinars, and collateral to drive awareness and action on industry best practices, tools, and capabilities.
● Develop processes for tracking of access to data and potential data loss vectors that need to be addressed
● Ensure that our data engineering process observes security and policy compliance in our data handling within analytical systems
● Work with domain technology teams to ensure that our handling of data in operational systems complies with our enterprise policies
● At least 7 years of professional experience in roles focused on data risk and compliance
● Experience of defining data procedures and policies across an enterprise
● Experience of working with data governance and stewardship communities
● Previous roles with leading companies in the retail industry are a plus
● Entrepreneurial attitude, and ability to drive change and navigate ambiguity when building new capabilities in an enterprise setting
● Background in managing technology teams and partnering with technology/IT leaders is highly desirable
● Good knowledge of agile methodologies and tools is highly desirable
● Passion for serving customers and understanding/delivering against their needs
● Superior executive relationship building and communication skills, and experience in working/driving results across teams in different disciplines (product, security, sales, legal, compliance, HR, etc.), including communicating recommendations to senior leaders. Experience working in a global environment, both with internal and external stakeholders, is a plus.
About Walmart Labs
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- 100% coverage for in network preventative care
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Plans
- Dental Plans
- Exclusive Discounts