Staff Data Scientist
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Data Science and Analytics
- Job Function Data Science and Analytics
- Employment Type Full Time
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition 1125819BR
What you'll do at
- A Staff Data Scientist is responsible for analyzing large data sets to develop multiple custom models and algorithms to drive innovative business solutions. Staff Data Scientists work on large project teams in order to provide analytical support and guidance to an assigned area on for large projects (for example, email targeting, business optimization, consumer recommendations) within Walmart eCommerce. Staff Data Scientists are responsible for building large data sets from multiple sources in order to build algorithms for predicting future data characteristics. Those algorithms will be tested, validated, and applied to large data sets. Staff Data Scientists are responsible for training the algorithms so they can be applied to future data sets and provide the appropriate search results. Staff Data Scientists are responsible for researching new trends in the industry and utilizing up-to-date technology (for example, HBase, MapReduce, LAPack, Gurobi) and analytical skills to support their assigned project. Staff Data Scientists are the subject matter experts for statistical analysis and modeling for their project team.
- Build complex data sets from multiple data sources, both internally and externally.
- Build learning systems to analyze and filter continuous data flows and offline data analysis.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners across the business.
- Collaborate with project teams to implement data modeling solutions.
- Combine data features to determine search models.
- Conduct advanced statistical analysis to determine trends and significant data relationships.
- Develop models of current state in order to determine improvements needed.
- Develop multiple custom data models to drive innovative business solutions.
- Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects
- Ensures business needs are being met
- Interpret data to identify trends to go across future data sets.
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates
- Research new techniques and best practices within the industry.
- Scale new algorithms to large data sets.
- Train algorithms to apply models to new data sets.
- Translate business needs into data requirements.
- Utilize system tools including (MySQL, Hadoop, Weka, R, Matlab,ILog).
- Validate models and algorithmic techniques.
- Bachelor of Science and 5 years' data science experience OR Master of Science and 3 years' data science experience.
• 5 years’ experience with statistical programming languages (for example, R, SAS)
• 5 years’ experience with SQL and relational databases (for example, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server)
• Expert in any scripting language (Python, PHP, Perl, etc.)
• Experience with Big Data/Distributed computing (Hadoop, Hive, Cassandra, Spark, etc.)
• Experience communicating the results of analyses with product and leadership teams to influence the strategy of the product
• Experience analyzing data and a broad understanding of core statistical and ML techniques
• Computer science, applied mathematics or statistics background in addition to data science skills
• Capability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of baselines and KPIs, and ability to accurately determine cause and effect relationships
• Demonstrated experience mentoring and educating junior data scientists to help them become competent and confident problem solvers
• Certificate in business analytics, data mining, or statistical analysis
About Walmart Labs
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- 100% coverage for in network preventative care
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Plans
- Dental Plans
- Exclusive Discounts