Principal Data Scientist
- Location BENTONVILLE, AR
- Career Area Data Analytics and Business Intelligence
- Job Function Data Analytics
- Employment Type Full Time
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition 1040442BR
What you'll do at
At Walmart Labs we’re reinventing the world’s leading retail platform, leveraging our unique strengths to deliver the best customer experience wherever our customers shop. Imagine an environment where one line of code, one experiment, or one idea has the power to catapult an entire industry towards a smarter future. Better yet, imagine if that power could be yours, every day. That’s what we do at Walmart Labs.
While we are tech-empowered, we are people-led. We’re a team of 4,000+ software engineers, data scientists, designers and product managers within Walmart and across the world, delivering innovations that transform how our customers shop and how our enterprise operates. Our technologists solve some of the most complex problems at Walmart, building solutions that impact hundreds of millions of people for the world’s largest retailer.
“WE ENGINEER SYSTEMS OF INTELLIGENCE AND ACTION TO AUTOMATE RETAIL DECISIONS AT SCALE”
Have you ever walked down the aisle in your local retailer and wondered how they determine the prices of the goods you buy? At Walmart Labs Retail Data Science Pricing team, we work with merchants to help better understand consumers and optimize pricing strategies.
The Walmart Labs Retail Data Science Pricing team is looking for a versatile data scientist to focus on building complex, cutting edge, and scalable algorithms for our merchandising organization. Our team of high caliber engineers, scientists, mathematicians, and statisticians develop rigorous quantitative methods to build efficient and effective algorithms that optimize decisions and drive innovation.
We employ the wealth of Walmart data to build a portfolio of AI/ML models in a rapid test, learn, modify cycle. We see the outcomes of our work enhance decisions every day and directly impact our customers.
We are seeking experts adept at partnering with business stakeholders, growing talented teams, and building capability development in tech. The ideal leader will combine expertise in AI/ML/Open Source/Tech knowledge, hands-on experience in algorithm planning, engineering, strategic capability development in AI/ML, and impart keen understanding of the retail business.
A successful candidate will join a dynamic group of scientists developing breakthrough capabilities in retail, creating new scientific approaches, and innovating solutions using state-of-the-art technology – at Walmart scale.
As a Principal Data Scientist, You Will:
• Design and build large and complex information sets; integrate and extract relevant information from large amounts of both structured and unstructured data to enable analytical solutions
• Lead and actively contribute to highly visible, complex projects, programs and solutions that are critical to the optimization of pricing strategies
• Lead and conduct advanced analytics leveraging predictive modeling, ML/AI, simulation, optimization and other techniques to develop pricing insights or develop analytical solutions to achieve business objectives
• Translate complex analytical and technical concepts to business stakeholders and leadership to enable understanding and drive informed business decisions
• Lead efforts to develop scalable, efficient, automated solutions for large scale data analyses, model development, model validation, and model implementation
• Actively identify new areas where Data Science can be leveraged across the organization
- Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 10 years experience in an analytics related field OR Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 8 years experience in an analytics related field.
• 5 years’ experience with statistical programming languages (for example, R, SAS)
• 5 years’ experience with SQL and relational databases (for example, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server)
• Expert in any scripting language (Python, PHP, Perl, etc.)
• Experience with Big Data/Distributed computing (Hadoop, Hive, Cassandra, Spark, etc.)
• Experience communicating the results of analyses with product and leadership teams to influence the strategy of the product
• Demonstrated leadership providing guidance to cross-functional, matrixed, and global teams to solve highly complex work that is critical to the organization
• Demonstrated experience mentoring and educating junior data scientists to help them become competent and confident problem solvers
• Certificate in business analytics, data mining, or statistical analysis
• Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics and 17 years’ experience in analytics related field
• Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics and 12 years’ experience in analytics related field
• Doctoral degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics and 9 years’ experience in analytics related field
About Walmart Labs
"At Walmart, you have the support you need at any given moment no matter the circumstance."
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum—NWA has something for everyone.Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole family.
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
- come together
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of Fayetteville.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- 100% coverage for in network preventative care
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Plans
- Dental Plans
- Exclusive Discounts