Staff Backend Engineer – Streaming Data Platform
- Location SUNNYVALE, CA
- Career Area Software Development and Engineering
- Job Function Software Development and Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position Type -
- Requisition 1016758BR
What you'll do at
The Developer Experience Tools group is made up of small agile teams delivering innovative tools and solutions for CI/CD and test automation. We love Open Source, and we design our tools to be open‐source from the first day. The added focus on reusable, portable solutions helps keep our architecture clean and flexible. And we love collaborating with people all over the world to make our tools better. Our team created TestArmada (http://testarmada.github.io/) , a fleet of tools for making testing fast, user‐friendly, and valuable at scale. We want you to help us build the next greatest developer productivity tool.
What you'll do
Walmart Labs is HIRING a Backend Engineer for our Sunnyvale, CA location!
• Are you an experienced Java developer?
• Are you interested in building a highly scalable data insights platform, enabling engineers to understand where bottlenecks or issues exist in their software from functional, client performance and server performance contexts?
• Are you a self-starter who thrives in a startup-like culture and want to work with a company which is defining and building next generation digital experiences and have an impact on hundreds of millions of users?
• Do you want to contribute to Open Source software that helps improve the test automation ecosystem, as part of your job?
If you answered YES to these questions, and you are the kind of developer who enjoys working on complicated technical challenges, learning from and collaborating with experienced engineers... WE WANT TO TALK TO YOU!
As a member of the Developer Experience Tools team you will be expected to work with your peers and/or independently on the design, development, testing, implementation and documentation of solutions to address unique challenges in Developer productivity tools Engineering. This includes collaborating on new tools and frameworks , working on open source tools and evangelizing the tools we create. Come up with better solutions to make releasing to production faster without compromising on quality.
• Contribute to development of our data insights platform
• Help in throughout the tool lifecycle : development, testing, adoption and support.
• Follow engineering best practices, including use of design patterns, code reviews and documentation.
• Effectively Collaborate and Communicate for better tool adoption by different development teams in Walmart Customer Experience Group.
• Expert knowledge and experience with Java
• Strong knowledge and experience with Databases (Relational and NoSQL) and/or caching solutions (Couchbase/Redis)
• Working knowledge and experience with Streaming platforms (Kafka preferred)
• Expert knowledge of technologies used in building scalable, distributed systems in virtualized cloud-like environments.
• Solid grasp of principles and approaches used in Data-driven systems and processes.
• Solid devops skills in troubleshooting live applications, assessing performance bottlenecks of applications running on Linux.
• Ability to successfully lead multiple projects while remaining highly technical, hands on contributor.
• Experience with Cassandra, KairosDB, Apache Solr, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark or Grafana
• Experience with Big Data processing
• Experience in production system operations (logging, telemetry, alerting etc.).
• Scripting skills in at least one of the following: Shell, Perl, Python, Bash, or Ruby
• Experience with Performance Engineering including testing, tuning and monitoring tools.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Basic Familiarity with continuous integration tools and frameworks like Travis CI, Jenkins, etc.
About Walmart Labs
Hello, Silicon Valley
You don’t have to choose between your career and your lifestyle in Silicon Valley. Here, you can have both.Discover Silicon Valley
Filoli Gardens, Woodside
View an art exhibit, take a nature hike, explore the historic Filoli House, or take a class at this gorgeous 654–acre property.
Get your art fix at this internationally recognized collection of over 30,000 works of modern and contemporary art.
Computer History Museum
Large-scale exhibits, an acclaimed speaker series, docent-led tours and an award-winning education program bring computer history to life.
Hike or jog throughout the year on terrain dedicated to academic programs, environmental restoration and habitat conservation.
Golden Gate Park, SF
Events, attractions, meadows, lakes, and a Japanese Tea Garden provide for a true escape, without leaving the city.
The Tech Museum
This family-friendly interactive science and technology center in San Jose provides a glimpse into the most inventive place on Earth — Silicon Valley.
Santana Row - San Jose
Stylish boutiques, world-class shopping, and delectable cuisine = a San Jose shopping trifecta.
Pacifica State Beach
Learn to surf or visit the “World’s Most Scenic Taco Bell” at this 0.75 mile long crescent shaped escape, a symbol of successful habitat restoration.
Golden Gate Cemetery
This national cemetery comprises 161 acres dedicated to all the members of the armed forces who served our country.
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- 100% coverage for in network preventative care
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Plans
- Dental Plans
- Exclusive Discounts